Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Goat Milk Oatmeal Soap Making Recipe


One of my favorite books about milk soaps was written by Casey Makela in 1997. Milk-Based Soaps: Making Natural, Skin-Nourishing Soap contains recipes for soaps as well as benefits and reasons why milk is so good for your skin.


My copy is tattered and torn on a page or two but it's loved and well-worn. Every time I read this book some new bit of knowledge reveals itself. It's fun reading my old notes on a few pages, seeing my thought process as I was learning soapmaking.


Of all the recipes about milk soaps, my favorite is Oatmeal Soap (page 66). Oatmeal goat milk soap was the first soap I made and always keep in stock because it makes my skin feel wonderful every time I use it -- without exception. The recipe follows:


Oatmeal Soap (makes 32 4-ounce bars)
3 pounds pure vegetable shortening
17 ounces extra-light olive oil
12 ounces safflower oil
8 ounces canola oil
3 pounds goat milk (one gallon weights 8 pounds)
12 ounces pour sodium hydroxide (lye)
1 ounce borax
1/4 ounce white sugar
1/4 ounce glycerin
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 ounce almond fragrance oil
1/4 ounce vanilla fragrance oil


Special instructions. Prepare the oatmeal by putting 1/2 cup of rolled oats in the blender and grating it for 60 seconds, or until you get a medium-course powder.


Refining the oatmeal in this manner helps it to better blend into the soap, an creates a more finely textured soap.

Add the oatmeal when you run the liquid mixture through the blender for the first time, and add the fragrance oils when you run the liquid mixture through the blender for the second time.

I highly recommend getting this book if you're interested in making milk soaps. Then read it about 7 times so you'll 'get it'.

Space is too limited here to discuss PROCESS but it is critical. To learn more about process, go to the following website.

Kathy's Soapmaking Links lead to a wealth of information on soapmaking and soapmakers who share their talents and skills. These links are excellent places to begin your research on how to make soap.
http://millersoap.com/soaplinks.html

Happy soaping!

No comments: